Internationals: Pedro's pride

Given his brilliant form for Chelsea this season, it’s no surprise Pedro has been recalled to the Spain squad for their upcoming matches against Israel and France, and the attacker is excited to be back.
Pedro has been superb for the Blues, scoring 11 goals and establishing himself as a regular starter in Antonio Conte’s side, who currently boast a 10-point lead at the top of the Premier League table.
Having been part of the teams which won the World Cup in 2010 and European Championships two years later, he has enjoyed a wonderful international career up until now and is looking forward to working under Julen Lopetegui, who took charge of Spain last July.
‘It's a new chance for me, a new challenge,’ said Pedro. ‘We are looking at how he wants to play, his ideas. He's another coach to add to the list in my career. I'm pleased to meet with team-mates and experiencing a good moment with my club. I am happy to be here.
‘We all come to join the team with the coach's requests. I work at 100 per cent and try to compete at the top level. I have to make the most of the chances I'm given. I'm happy to be back and to train with the squad.’
When asked about his reasons for recalling Pedro, who joins Chelsea team-mates Cesar Azpilicueta and Diego Costa in the squad, Lopetegui was full of praise for the 29-year-old, saying: ‘Pedro is a long-established name in the national team, he is performing at a good level, is the perfect age and is producing for Chelsea.’
First up for Spain is a World Cup qualifier at home to Israel on Friday, and while they currently lead Group G, there is only a point between Lopetegui’s side and their opponents, who lie in third.
‘They're a good team,’ Pedro added. ‘A strong team, with technical players and it will be a difficult match for us.’
That game is followed by a friendly away against France next Tuesday, a fixture which holds special memories for Pedro, who scored the only goal of the game when the teams met in a World Cup qualifier in Paris in 2013.
‘I managed to score an important goal in a tough match and I hold a fond memory,’ he said.  
‘They're a good national team with good players. We know they'll be a difficult opponent to beat, even more so with them playing at home.’
Having been rewarded for his impressive form at club level, Pedro will be doing everything in his power over the course of the next week to stake a claim and help the national team he has served so well overcome two tough opponents.
‘We all learn from things that happen,’ he said. ‘I am back and with excitement. It is complicated to be here. There are many players to choose from. But I am happy to have returned.
‘I hope to make the most of the opportunity, as always, as part of the team. I look forward to defending the Spain jersey and our emblem again.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internationals: Mount scores in England U-19 win

Local kick-off time